Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Mixed Lighting

1/50 shutter speed, aperture 7.1
Camera 205 (Nikon D3100), zoom lens.

In this project we were supposed to use both natural and studio lighting. After trying and failing to find a plug close enough to a door to bring the lights outside, I decided a shot at a window would be the best way to go. I chose this door window, which led to an area near the sports field. After setting up a fill light ( I really liked the natural light outside, so I didn't want to overwhelm it with artificial light; I set up the fill light just so there weren't so many deep shadows made by the natural light on the model's (Ally's) face.) I asked Ally to look outside at the field and started taking photos. I got this one because Ally was concerned that it may rain later on, but put into the context of the picture it looks really dramatic.It almost looks to me like she is biting her lip and contemplating the sports players outside, as if she wants to play with them but for some reason cannot. It really was sheer luck that I captures this expression, but it made for a very interesting and dynamic photo.

After taking the photo, I put it into Photoshop for some minor editing. I cropped the photo so that there was no unnecessary blank space, and so that Ally was in a better place in the photo (obeying the rule of thirds a bit more). I then made the photo black and white, because some of the colours in the photo clashed a bit and without them you can really focus on the composition and message of the photograph.

Overall I do like this photo. I feel it captures a scene in an interesting way that conveys a story, and I feel I made good use of both indoor and outdoor light.

No comments:

Post a Comment