Thursday, November 28, 2013

Alternative Processes- Multiple Exposures

Test strip #1- 5 second per strip 

 Test Strip #2- 5 seconds per strip

Test Square # 1- Book- 15 seconds Plant- 10 seconds


Final Copy
Book- 14 second exposure Plant- 15 second exposure

I decided that for this project, I wanted to try making a double exposure. For the double exposure, I wanted something coming out of a book, so I took pictures of multiple plants. I chose to use this one in the end because it was the straightest, so it would look like it was growing right out of the book.

In order to make the double exposure, I first used test strips to figure out how much I should expose each photo for individually. Then I started practising the burn-and-dodge technique. Once I thought I had the hang of it, I made a good copy of the photo and showed it to Callie. She thought I should try to crop out the table was sitting on, as it really was just empty space. I agreed with her. This lead to another round of sizing, making test strips, and testing the burning and dodging technique. In the end I got the above product.

I wanted to make a plant coming out of a book because I really love to read, and when I read it is sometimes like the story is coming out of the book and is like a play or a T.V. show playing in my mind. I tried to capture that feeling by using photography to show something actually coming out of a book. It was pretty cool to make something I imagine in my head become real through photography.

Overall I am decently pleased with my end product. I don't think it is my best work and if I had more time I could probably have made it better, but this was my first time using this technique so it's not half-bad for a beginner. I really like that the plant really looks like it is coming out of the book and that I got the exposures to match. If I could go back and change one thing, I think I would simplify the background behind the plant more, to make sure the focus went straight to the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment